1347 Part 3 Randy McDaniel DSR of the Month, Price Shoppers & Advice
Click player below to listen
- DSR Live: 1347
TO DOWNLOAD this show to listen to it anytime, anywhere, RIGHT CLICK & SELECT "SAVE TARGET AS"
How do you deal with an account when they are a Price Shopper? How do you get around that?
Randy: I’ve been taught to bring value. But there are some personalities in this world that are just that way. They are who they are, and you are not going to change them. So, you must decide if you want to deal with them or not. I have found in many cases when you take the time to compare apples to apples and break things down to the ounce and the piece, they will learn to understand that things are priced because of the value they bring. I am competitive so I will give it my best, but if I cannot do any better on it, I will be honest and tell them that. I will let them know that I can be their backup.
DSR Dave: I agree with Randy’s breaking it down to the ounce and piece and putting in the effort to show the customer the difference. It was those type of accounts that my manager used to tell me NOT to go after because all they did was price shop. Those often became some of my best customers because they appreciated the work I put into helping them to see the actual usable product in cuttings and breaking it down all the way.
Randy: Also, commodity means commodity. Sometimes I have to share the market report graph because my integrity is important and as prices go up and down with the market, I do not want to be embarrassed by gouging somebody.
- Nothing replaces hard work.
- 6 day a week job, so pick up that phone call late.
- Don’t be lazy, you’ve got to be self-motivated and driven.
- Have integrity and respect.
- Have fun.
- Do not become complacent.
- Remember the competitiveness and fun.
- Make cold calls even though most may come through referrals now.
- Enjoy opening a new account again.
- Appreciate the friendships and rewards of gratitude that have come from it.
- Don’t forget to take a vacation to get refreshed.
- Don’t get a big head because it takes a team to make us successful.
DSRs, Be a Resource... and Sell Something!