708: Long-time Operator, Charlie Mansir, is Loyal to a DSR, IF
Click player below to listen
- DSR Live: 708
This edition of DSRLive is brought to you by:
This is a “MUST LISTEN TO” audio interview with Charlie Mansir, a Culinary Institute of America (CIA) graduate who has been an operator for over 30 years and has dealt with hundreds of DSRs. Mansir gives specific details on exactly what a DSR needs to do to become a Great DSR!!
Mansir, Operations Manager for Sam Snead’s Tavern in Orlando, Florida has managed operations all around the country. http://www.samsneadstavern.com/
He is very loyal to the DSRs who pay attention to his account and do the work weekly that helps him make money. He explains how great DSRs are ahead of the curve and keep him posted on market conditions, like pricing going up on chicken, and what’s going on with trends and products in the market.
Mansir becomes more loyal to a DSR when a DSR is involved with his business to the point that they see problems, and provide solutions, before he has to worry about them.
Topics discussed on this show:
· It’s not about the lowest price.
· One stop shop distributor vs. shopping more than one distributor is a different relationship.
· National brand name products and private label products; how they affect his recipes.
· DSRs who are “order takers” and not problem solvers.
· DSR loyalty boils down to caring about HIS business.
· What DSRs do or don’t do that drives Charlie CRAZY.
· Samples work, listen to Charlie’s example about Chick-fil-A. But it’s a real hassle to get samples. Charlie wants a CASE to run as a special.
· Product knowledge is a must for DSRs; he would like the DSR to know more about their products.